Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Beginner's Guide to Driving in South America

  • Lanes: Those pretty yellow and white lines on the road mean nothing; pay them no attention. They are merely painted for asthetic reasons.
  • Honking: Use your car horn as many times as you deem necessary. This should include, but is not limited to: honking at red lights, pedestrians, beautiful chicas, other vehicles, or just for fun.
  • Speed Bumps: It is best to take speed bumps at an angle. Yes, that's correct, veer your vehicle to the left or right before driving over the bump so that only one tire goes over at a time. Who cares if you take up the entire road; simply honk your horn at other vehicles and it´s fine.
  • Headlights: Believe it or not, cars in front of you are not affected by your brights. In fact, it is a good idea to drive 2-5 feet directly behind a car in front of you with your brights on. The driver in the other vehicle will enjoy it.
  • Speed Limit: The only speed limit in South America is however fast your spedometer will allow you to drive. It is best to see how fast you can go - especially around corners. This will save you money on gasoline.
  • Passing: Pass every vehicle that is in front of you. You must always be the first in a line. It is preferable to pass on blind corners or hills.

I have never prayed more in my life than I do when I am riding in a vehicle in South America. I mentioned this to Heidi and she said, ''Haha, I guess I used to think the same thing when I first got here but then I just got used to it. I haven´t died yet!'' Somehow, that didn´t make me feel better.

On a better note, Machu Picchu was amazing yesterday. We hired a tour guide so we learned a lot about how it was discovered and the different theories as to why the Incas abandoned it. We are very excited to go to Lake Titicaca tonight, we're traveling by bus - I hope we have a safe driver! We'll be in Puno (one of the towns next to the lake) for Christmas. Hope all is well at home.

Love,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment